Wednesday 29 February 2012

Ducker and Son


Having moved to wearing bespoke suits many years ago, and in more recent years to bespoke shirts (both of which I'll write about another time), last year I decided to try ordering some bespoke shoes from Ducker and Son on Turl Street in Oxford for the first time.


I went to University at Oxford so I've been aware of Ducker's bespoke service for ages. Of course, I could never afford them as a student.


According to Duckers, previous clients have included Baron von Richthofen (aka The Red Baron), J.R.R. Tolkien and Evelyn Waugh, amongst many others.


I've now got four pairs; a traditional black brogue, a brogued black single monk, black loafers and a pair of suede boots.  


All fit me superbly. Better than any off the shelf shoe. But that's not surprising. After all the human body isn't symmetrical - in my case it turns out that one of my feet is a completely different size to the other.


But what I like most about them is the small details. For example, the brogues are lined with red leather with just the tiniest sliver of red being visible between the lace holes. A tiny, discrete detail but one that works in the rather straight laced (ouch!) City world where I ply my trade. I'll add a photo when I get a chance.


http://www.duckerandson.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment