Sunday 26 February 2012

Spring style for grown ups





I don't know these two gentlemen pictured strolling into the square at Somerset House last week but I must applaud their style.

Three thoughts occur to me:

Firstly, as ever, I'm a firm believer in achieving both form and function.  Superficially, here we have two men who seem to be utterly relaxed and comfortable in apparently simple ensembles, however for those that care to take a closer look there are also a myriad of details to pick up on that allow each of them to make his own, unique statement.

The second  aspect of this picture that caught my eye is the colour palette that they are using; khaki, green, blue, brown.  These are the colours of spring.  Perfectly judged.

Finally, they are not young men and I know as a man in my 40s that it's all too easy for us to get workwear right (it's tricky to mess up a suit, shirt, tie and shoes) and to get casual wear utterly wrong.  Too many 40-something men dress as if they're teenagers - think slogan T-shirts and skinny trousers.

These gentlemen have it nailed.

No comments:

Post a Comment